Permanent link to this article: http://cornerstoneacademypta.com/
This week’s letter has a lot of information, so I will skip the part where I tell you how great things were this week (which they were) and just get started.
On the topic of getting things started, clubs will begin on Monday, September 9th. Please see the attached chart for more information about what is available. If you have any questions about specific clubs, please reach out to the sponsor listed on the chart. Monday Clubs.docx
We would like to thank our fantastic PTA for a delicious breakfast this week. As always, we really appreciate everything you do! Staff appreciation events at Cornerstone are amazing, but that is just a small part of what PTA does to make our school better. If you still have not joined PTA…what are you waiting for? It’s a great way to get involved and support CSA. Not to mention, all parents need to log ten volunteer hours, and PTA is ready to offer more than enough options to keep you busy. For more information or if you’re ready to join, please visit www.cornerstoneacademypta.com
Another easy way to support CSA is one of my favorite “hobbies”…shopping! If you visit Kroger’s or Randall’s, you just need to register your savings card to donate to our PTA. You can even help out at home in your PJs by utilizing Amazon Smile. Go to www.smileamazon.com, and, when it asks which charity you would like to donate to, select Cornerstone Academy PTA…and shop! You do have to go through the Smile Amazon website each time, but your support is very appreciated.
Looking for a good book? Mrs. Vergult wants to make sure everyone knows about Blue Willow Bookshop. There are a lot of amazing author events hosted by the wonderful local bookstore, including Tweens Read in the fall and TeenBookCon in the spring, which bring published authors to kids who love to read. For more information about upcoming events, please check out https://www.bluewillowbookshop.com/events-list.
Does your student speak Spanish? Use that knowledge to earn high school credit! Bilingual students interested in taking the Credit By Exam for Spanish Levels 1, 2, 3 or 4 should see Ms. Johnson as soon as possible. The testing will take place Monday September 16th and Wednesday September 18th after school in the Library Annex. Students must be preregistered with Ms. Johnson, and parents must provide transportation home. If a student does not have transportation they must see Ms. Johnson for alternate arrangements. Based upon how well a student performs on the test will determine which level s/he will be placed in. Students may score high enough to fulfill the two year foreign language requirement for graduation.
Please make note of the following upcoming dates:
- Monday, September 9 Monday club day begins
- Monday, September 11 Progress reports go home
- Tuesday, September 24 Open House (6:00 – 7:30)
- Thursday, September 26 Fall Picture Day
If you haven’t already done so, please consider contributing through the Underwriting Campaign. This is the LAST WEEK for business donations.
Cornerstone’s Underwriting Campaign keeps CSA students from selling wrapping paper, cookies, etc. We encourage every Cornerstone family to contribute, and 100% of underwriting dollars remain at CSA. No amount is too small, and every dollar makes an impact!
The Cornerstone PTA uses these funds to pay for CESIT materials, field trips, dances, first and last day of school activities, classroom set-up and grade level budgets, staff retreat and the family campaign.
Please make your donation using the BIG FORM. Make your donation go twice as far by asking your company to participate in the Corporate Matching Program!
Do you own a business or know of a business that would like to advertise in the Cornerstone directory? Email CSAUnderwriting@gmail.com for more details and forms. All business donations need to be received by September 6th. Download the Business Campaign letter.
Cornerstone PTA is a 501c organization. Your donation is tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Questions: contact Ashley Michels @ CSAUnderwriting@gmail.com or 713.320.0501
We need the support for the kids!!! this is one of the two fundraisers we have ALL year!!! No sales!!! PLEASE Give!!
Back-to-school was a huge success. We enjoy seeing all of the happy faces coming in the door each day, and great things are happening in our classrooms. Thank you to our wonderful PTA for providing a tasty first day lunch for everyone and snacks for teachers leading up to that day. This week, we jumped into instruction, and we’re off to a great start! I’ve seen lessons on integers, book choices, grit and perseverance and a little vocabulario en espanol. The energy is definitely back in the hallways, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
Because we just started, there’s not a whole lot to discuss…yet, but I do want to call your attention to a few items.
- There is no early dismissal day in August. Our first early dismissal day will be on Wednesday, September 25th. Early dismissal dates for the remainder of the school year are October 30, November 20, January 29, February 26, March 25 and April 29.
- Learning Lab starts next week and happens every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00 to 4:00. Parent drive for those who stay late begins at 4:00, and the late bus is scheduled to leave at 4:15 on those days.
- Transportation has been working hard to make sure all students who need a bus are on the right bus and route. With over 35,000 students in our district, that is a big task. We understand there has been some confusion and longer (and hotter) than normal bus trips, and we thank you for your patience as things are sorted out. If your student is still experiencing problems with his/her bus route, please email Mr. Burger, and we’ll do our best to help.
- Holiday – Monday, September 2nd is Labor Day. School will be closed.
Lastly, I’d like to extend some thanks to people who have made back-to-school at Cornerstone a success…
- Our pottery and lacrosse volunteers…you rock! We’re so thankful to have these fun activities as options for our kids.
- PTA…consider this an ongoing and unlimited thank you for all the hard work and time you put into CSA. It wouldn’t be the same without your support.
- Mr. Burger and Mrs. Johnson for sorting out CESITs and schedule changes
- Last, but definitely not least, CSA Teachers and Staff…you consistently go above and beyond, and the past week has been no exception. Thank you!
Have a great weekend!